Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"No Hablo Espanol."

I was sitting on the ledge out on my balcony reading some Sherlock Holmes this evening. I noticed a sudden increase in the amount of people walking around, but didn't think too much of it. I did notice that some were carrying what appeared to be Bibles.

Three women came to the door of the house, which I could clearly see. They called out, "Buenos noches!" and rang the doorbell several times, and that's when I realized they were selling religion door to door.

One of them called up to me, and I greeted her. As she asked me if I had a few minutes so that she could tell me about something, I put on my most confused face, and when she was done, I told her, "No... no hablo... Espanol," in my best American accent. She had to clarify what I had said, and I then told her, "Sorry..." They said something to each other and then left.

I glanced in the window of the house, and Cesia was giggling. I smiled guiltily at her.

Hopefully, this is the first of many benefits I'll discover to being white, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment