Monday, December 8, 2014

Back to ESL Business

So.... I gave up on this blog a long time ago because of the Google takeover of Blogger and I couldn't figure out how to get back into my account.... Then today I was trying to figure out Google Adsense and found that this site was still making (a bit of) money, so I tried signing in for the heck of it, and it worked! I'm not sure how, because I just clicked on the "sign in" button and it took me to my home page.... But I'm glad it did. This blog name is a LOT easier to remember. So, I will be writing in here from now on.... As often as that happens....

So many funny things happen throughout the day when teaching English to little kids, so I've started jotting them down in my iPod during class so I don't forget them. Here are the stories I have collected at the moment.... Enjoy!

I was with my Prepa (Kindergarten) kids, and their new favorite phrase is "I love you." It's usually adorable, unless they say it right after they've just done something they know they're not supposed to.... I was on my way out of the class when they surrounded me, saying "I love you," one at a time, and of course I told them I loved them back.... Then I turned to one of the girls who looked especially eager to tell me how much she loved me and she asks me, "Can I go to the bathroom?"

There's a song we sing in chapel called "One Way." It's a very upbeat song and the kids love it. The chorus goes like this: "One way, Jesus / You're the only one that I could live for / One way, Jesus / You're the only one that I could live for." The tune is very catchy. We are also doing "Let it Go" from Frozen for our Christmas show. So, I had just announced that we were going to practice (which gets them super excited, because who doesn't love dancing to Frozen?), and one of the girls starts singing to the tune of "One Way." "Frozen, Jesus...."

I was in First Grade, where my girls get stickers for using their English. For some reason, the phrase "Can I go...." sticks with them. So one of the girls asks me, "Can I go to the sticker?" This was quickly followed by another girl asking, "Can I go to the bathroom?" And a third looking at me thoughtfully before saying, "Beautiful."

As much as the chaos that often comes with teaching young kids drives me crazy, it's the little moments like these that reminds me why I love what I do so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment