Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Potpourri

I have a few random things to share. I was thinking about separate posts for each, but there's really not enough about each to have an entire post, and I have a weird aversion to posting more than once a day. So, here's a few things that are going on, in no particular order.

Yesterday, I got two new roommates. Well, housemates. They're a young married couple who also work at the school. They are part of the family that left because of the gang violence a couple months ago, but they're back now and living in the room next to mine upstairs. I love them both, and am looking forward to getting to know them better and improving my Spanish. They don't speak any English, so this will more or less force me to practice.

Because of the two jobs I did last month for an employer on the freelance site, he's now contacting me to ask me to work for him, so that's been great. I'm currently working on two jobs for him. Each has 24 articles that I have to write, and both are due in 2 weeks. It's been difficult to find the energy to work on them in the afternoons as I'm still adjusting back to my normal school schedule, but I'm not too worried about it.

I also have been working a bit more on making youtube videos. I've always been fascinated by stop-motion animation, and recently decided to go for it, so that's what I usually do for my creative videos. Also, I was able to "monetize" my videos, which means I will start to get paid for the ads that are placed in them. So, I strongly encourage you to watch my videos and tell your friends if you like them, and it will actually help support my mission! :)

On a similar note, I am composing some songs for those videos, and currently working on getting them put on iTunes. Once I do submit them to the site that will allow me to do that, it will take 5 - 6 weeks for them to actually get loaded onto iTunes, but I look forward to that, which will be yet another way to get support.

I wasn't planning on sharing this, but it seems like a good time. I don't know why I feel driven to make money like this right now, but I feel like I need to be preparing financially for something. Because I'm not doing much ministry outside of the school right now, I'm saving up money and really only buying necessities. When I was younger, I would save up for months to get something, like when I bought my first iPod, a blue mini. I saved up for over a year before I got what I needed. Now, I'm saving up but have nothing in mind. I guess God will reveal that in time. For now, I'm just preparing financially and spiritually for what God has for me next.

I've always wanted to be extremely rich, for two reasons. First of all, selfishly, it would be nice to have the things that I want and feel secure financially. But second of all, and this one is more significant for me, I want to be able to help people. If someone says, "I need money to go to this place where God wants me," I want to be able to say, "Here. Go." I honestly love that feeling of generosity and enabling others to serve, and helping out where there are needs.

A few years back, my grandpa was in a nursing home and my grandma was struggling financially because of it. I had a job at the time, so I would save up some cash, and give it to her, though anonymously at first. I always included an encouraging note for her. I think I was 17 or 18 at the time, and that act of generosity changed me. I want to go back to that time of no real financial responsibilities and be able to just freely give. It's harder now when I have to buy food and gas, and pay for electricity.

Now that I said that, it seems silly. I've NEVER had to wonder if I'd have enough food for the day. I've NEVER had to sleep out on the street. I've NEVER had to beg for money just to get me through. I've NEVER really gone without anything. And for that week when I had no electricity, I survived. It wasn't that big of a deal. Nothing I have is mine anyway. Everything belongs to God. He's just letting me borrow it so I can take care of myself, but more importantly, so I can use it for His glory.

God takes care of wild sparrows and grass. How much greater is His love for me? Definitely so much so that I don't have to worry about anything. Definitely didn't think this was how this blog would go. Definitely glad it went this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment